Saturday, August 4, 2007

Frugal Friday!


I do a lot of crafts and like many crafty people out there know - all of the bits and pieces can really add up! One thing I've learned to do is to SAVE THE SCRAPS!

I keep a small tupperware container at my side when crafting to throw all of my too-small-to-use scraps of fabric, thread, wool, cotton etc in. These scraps are great for using in the myriad of small projects that need stuffing. You won't need half as much material as you would toy stuffing and with the usual amount of squishing you won't be able to tell the difference!

It is astounding the amount of possible stuffing material that we throw away. Think of those too-short-to-use cotton threads and wool at the end of a project or those bitsy off-cut corners when cutting pieces for a quilt or pattern, or even the extra "bits"of thread from the start and end of a sewn line when you're using a sewing machine!

** and on a side note, last week I spoke about using your heater for drying clothes and humidity in winter - apparently my cats think that the rail also makes a great makeshift heated cat bed! lol

6 comments:

Carrie J said...

This is a good tip. I always find a use for my scraps. It drives me crazy to watch craft shows because they always cut stuff, paper or fabric, out of the MIDDLE of a piece instead of shifting the pattern where they can save material. I guess the more we buy the more they make so they don't care! LOL

Jessica said...

Hi Amy! That does sound like a good idea. I just wanted to come tell you that I got the post up about my kittens Midnight and Shadow and I thought you might want to see it. I will be trying to get a post up about my mother cat soon. I would also love to have some of the crafts you do! Well I hope you can come see my post soon! Have a nice afternoon Amy!
Jessica

Mom2fur said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm really sorry, but I'd rather not ship something to Australia. I don't think I could afford it, LOL!
This is a great tip, btw. I save scraps, but not really small ones. Now I think I could have used a lot of tossed bits of fleece for stuffing! I'll never throw anything like that away again!

Mom2fur said...

Hey, you know what? I didn't realize I forgot to put USA only on the blog. My fault! So if you want to play, lmk. You can be my 'fourth'!
My e-mail: lufmikidz at aol dot com

:)mom2fur

Jessica said...

Hi Amy! Thank you so much for coming by again! And thanks for the compliments on the kittens and Elektra! I'm glad you like the idea about them being outside. Like I said Elektra was just so picky about her litter box so we had to move her outside. By the way the kittens are about three months old. Thanks again for coming by Amy!
Jessica

Jessica said...

Hello Amy! Um, I was wondering if you wanted to be freinds. You havn't been on your blog posting about things for a while so I thought I would contac you through email. Well that's all I wanted to know. :)
God bless, Jessica