Friday, September 7, 2007

Frugal Friday


I don't know about you but whenever we get blessed with more fruit than we can eat and freeze all I can think about are puddings and cobblers. We recently got given a bunch of peaches in syrup and I came across the yummiest frugal "cobbler" (it's more like a light pudding to me) that we had for dessert tonight and had to share!

Amish Peach Cobbler (serves 4-6)

1 c self-raising flour (or 1 c flour & 1 1/4 tsp baking powder)
1 c white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tbs butter, softened
1 tbs mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice)
6-8 large peaches, sliced and peeled (or 1-2 large cans of peaches in syrup)
1/2 c brown sugar

(if not using peaches in syrup, also make a syrup using 1 tsp almond essence, 1 c boiling water and mix with peaches)

Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
In a med bowl mix the flour, 1/2 c of the white sugar, mixed spice, salt and butter until crumbly. Set aside.
Grease a square pan and place half of the peaches and syrup in the bottom of the pan.
Top with half of the flour mixture. On top of that add the rest of the peaches and then the rest of the flour mixture.
Mix together the left over white sugar and 1/2 c brown sugar and pour over the top flour layer.
Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes until golden and bubbly. We served ours with hot custard - YUM! :)

One thing I always try to do when I am baking cookies is to keep any of the crumbly mixture that can be left over in the bowl. There's always just that little bit left over that won't stick - it used to drive me nuts! Now I keep the mix left over in a small container in the fridge to add to anything like a crumble or cobbler or pie. It lasts aaaages. Waste not want not as they say. :)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow that pie sounds good! I'm gonna have to give that recipe to my mom, she LOVES, LOVES, LOVES peach pie! :)
Jessica

Martha A. said...

That sounds really good! We never really have more fruit than we know what to do with here, but we love a cobbler or crisp!

Patti Mayo said...

Hi Amy! I saw your comment over at BiblicalWomanhood from last week's frugal friday and I wanted to ask how you save the most on your grocery shopping? We've been in Australia for about 10 monthes from the states and our weekly grocery bill is killing me :) I do my best to shop the sales and stockpile on certain items when they get down to a certain price, but it really feels like there has to be a cheaper way to shop here! We've shop at Aldi's some, especially for meat, but we haven't really found anything else to save our dollars. Thanks!